GAME ON! GROUP MENTORING
Game On! Group Mentoring
Eat Smart, Play Smart, Live Smart
In areas of gender and education research, key findings state that male adolescents frequently struggle with issues of body image, low levels of physical activity and unhealthy eating practices. Sound familiar?
In other words, boys and young men today go through much the same turmoil growing up as most of us did in our day. The journey to adulthood is never an easy one, but it can be smoothed out with the guidance and support of a mentor who cares and understands. More importantly, mentoring can help cement an active, healthy lifestyle that nourishes self-esteem and confidence.
The program strives to do the following:
- through the lens of healthy living, openly discuss current and pressing issues facing boys and young men
- build appreciation for the benefits of healthy eating habits
- promote physical exercise through the use of non-traditional activities
- instill respect for socio-economic, ethno-cultural and racial diversity
- encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- and above all, make a difference.
Game On! is a group mentoring program for providing boys and young men with information and support to make informed choices about a range of healthy lifestyle practices. Through non-traditional physical activities, complemented with healthy eating support, participants are engaged in life skills, communication, and emotional health discussions designed to engage participants in the pursuit of life-long healthy lifestyles.
Game On! includes seven 75-minute core sessions. There are also four extension modules that capture potential issues and topics specific to various locales and the interests of the mentors and participants.
We wish to thank the Québec Government for its support